Hawaii's mystical past lives in the Battle of the Owls, in the transformation of the the pig-man Kamapuaa, the strifes of the demigod Maui, the diminutive Menehune and the legendary healers of old. First published in 1907, this collection by Thomas G. Thrum brought together a series of legends printed in The Hawaiian Annual by noted folklorists Emerson, Forbes, Gibson, Hyde, Nakuina and Poepoe.
From the Inside Flap:
Hawaii's mystical past lives in the Battle of the Owls, the transformation of the pig-man Kamapuaa, the strifes of the demon-god Maui, the diminutive Menehune, and the legendary healers of old. Using the Hawaiian language sources of David Malo and Samuel Kamakau, Thrum was among the first to popularize island folk tales. First published in 1907, this collection brings together a series of legends printed in The Hawaiian Annual that included other noted folklorists of the time such as Emerson, Forbes, Gibson, Hyde, Nakuina, and Poepoe. These tales perpetuate the beauty and mystery of Hawaiian sacred tradition serving as an excellent first introduction to the myths, legends, and folk tales that once bound people and the spirit realm in a cosmic unity of purpose.
Author: Thos C Thrum
Number of Pages: 284
Publisher: Mutual Publishing
Publication Date: 01 Mar 1999
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9781566471664
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.