In the 1960s and '70s and American businessman named Harold Geneen transformed a hodgepodge of small companies into a $28 billion industrial empire called ITT. Now, at the age of eighty-seven and still turning unprofitable companies into profitable ones, this down-to-earth business giant shares his observations about the trouble with American companies - and what CEOs, boards of directors, managers, hired guns, shareholders, and every American citizen can do to fix it.With wit and directness, Geneen champions the old-fashioned values of hard work, honesty, risk-taking, common sense, and decisiveness. With equal fervor, he tears apart the concepts of "reengineering," "synergy" and other faddish management theories; bureaucracy; cynicism; excessive compensation packages for CEOs; the current panic about the budget deficit; derivatives; lawyers; corporations posing as "socially responsible citizens"; the federal government's antitrust activities; and more.
Author: H. Geneen
Number of Pages: 248
Publisher: St Martin's Press
Publication Date: 01 Apr 1997
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780312147242
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.