What does love feel like beyond death?
Jane's husband Jim has just died - or not quite. For Jim, a mild-mannered chaplain at the hospital where Jane works as a surgeon, has left his body to Polaris, a shadowy cryonics organisation that promises to do away with mortality forever. Stranded in the realm of the living, reeling from the loss of her husband, Jane sets out to confront Polaris and to discover just where, exactly, his body is now. Meanwhile, awake in a strange new world, an afterlife of sorts, his body gone but his consciousness intact, Jim learns that the cost of eternal life is higher than he ever could have imagined.
As the narratives of husband and wife - one alive, one dead; one faithful, one errant - intertwine and loop from after-life to pre-death, so an extraordinary portrait of a marriage emerges; its losses, its secrets, its fidelities, its endurance. Beautifully constructed, thought-provoking, emotionally profound and witty, The New World is a pitch-perfect exploration of the power of love and the triumph of human connection over technological tyranny. It is a fantastical, funny and tender response to that most profound of marriage vows: til death to us part.
Author: Chris Adrian
Number of Pages: 224
Publisher: GRANTA BOOKS
Publication Date: 06 Aug 2015
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9781783782109
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- This book was traded in by a user. As part of our sustainability commitment, we are committing 1% of the profits to support sustainable initiatives.
- When you shop with Thryft, we help you do more with your purchase. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books and clothes using more sustainable packaging options. Click here to learn more.
- Orders from Singapore above S$30 are eligible for free local delivery services.
- We typically pack and dispatch orders within 2-7 business days. After the order is dispatched, they typically arrive within the next business day. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- You can opt in for reusable e-commerce packaging if you are ordering 6 books or clothes or less! Click here to learn more.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store nor have access to your payment information.