Over the past few decades, the rise of East Asia and mainland China has spurred the revival of "Chineseness" in the Philippines and other parts of Southeast Asia. Defined during the Cold War era as economically dominant, politically disloyal, and culturally different, the "Chinese" are now not only politically integrated into the Filipino imagined community, but also held up as models of entrepreneurship and key players in East Asian regional economic development.
The Chinese Question looks at the evolving meanings of "Chinese" and "Filipino" and explores the cultural implications of the rise of East Asia and mainland China for the Philippines. Focusing on cinematic and literary works, it shows how questions of race, class, ideology, nationality, territory, sovereignty, and mobility shape the discourses of national integration, regional identification, and global cosmopolitanism, while also pointing to resoluble contradictions at the heart of concepts of citizenship and national belonging in the throes of transformation.
Author: Caroline S. Hau
Number of Pages: 376
Publisher: Nus Press
Publication Date: 30 Oct 2014
- Vendor: Thryft x Books for Charity
- ISBN: 9789971697921
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- 50% of the profits from this book will be donated under our Books for Charity programme. For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Lakeside Family Services' Reading Intervention Services. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.