This is the first major book to survey the entire history of the British Empire as a completed story. Avoiding the polemics or apologetics that were inevitable when the empire was still at the center of political controversy, the author describes the full sweep of expansion and decolonization from the voyages of discovery in the reign of Elizabeth I to the swift moves to independence in the reign of Elizabeth II. The author argues that British expansion was relatively easy, and was initially held in place by a spirit of loyalty to a monarch whose subjects had settled all over the world. He charts the later growth of nationalism, and shows how the constitutional rights claimed by emigrants in their internal affairs became signposts on the road to full independence. Drawing out both parallels and differences between paths of development throughout the empire, the book provides a unified and coherent account of a vital period in the history of all the countries that make up the modern Commonwealth.
About the Author:
T. O. Lloyd, Emeritus Professor of History, University of Toronto.
Author: T.O. Lloyd
Number of Pages: 446
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Publication Date: 01 Oct 1984
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780198730255
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.