Author: Mathew Horsman
The fascinating story of the rise and rise of BskyB, 1 of the major corporate success stories of the decade. Every second of every minute of every hour of every day, BskyB, the UK's largest pay-TV company, racks up 8 pounds in profit more than any other UK broadcaster. Every Hollywood studio sells it's vast output exclusively to BskyB for broadcast on subscription TV. Only Sky subscribers can watch live Premier league matches. BskyB may still be 3rd after the BBC and ITV in terms of revenues, but is growing at an incredible rate. In 1996, Sky's revenues topped 1 billion pound. And that's before you start counting the likely profits from digital TV, with it's promise of 200 channels of programming, interactive banking, home shopping and easy access to the internet. In Sky high , Matthew Horsman provides a lively and detailed account of the rise and rise of BskyB, 1 of the major corporate success stories of the decade. From a highly indebted fledgling company in the mid 1980's, haemorrhaging freely, to the 1 billion pound behemoth of today, the story is as much about the changing face of TV as it is about 1 corporation. It is about how Britain went from just 4 channels to 50. It is about Australian soaps, cop shows and bad US dramas. It is about television without frontiers, deregulation, money and power. And it is, above all, about the people, the outsized egos, the highly paid managers and their rows and stratagems - from Sam Chisholm to Gerry Robinson, David Chance, Liz Murdoch, Trevor East and ultimately to Rupert Murdoch himself. The story of BskyB is the story of an industry, management team, new technologies, even new social forces.
- 50% of the profits from this book will be donated under our Books for Charity programme. For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Lakeside Family Services' Reading Intervention Services. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Malaysia below RM150 are eligible for flat rate shipping of RM9.99 MYR. Orders RM150 and above are eligible for free shipping.
- We have a minimum order value requirement of RM30.
- All orders are packed and shipped within 2-7 business days, and may take up to 7 business days to arrive. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- After the orders have been shipped, some orders may also experience delays due to customs or the current COVID-19 measures. Unfortunately, we have no control over these delays and cannot predict what they may be. If necessary, we suggest that you contact your local office for additional information.
- Vendor: Thryft x Books for Charity
- ISBN: 9780752813721
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.