Aaron Hartzler grew up in a home where he was taught that at any moment, Jesus could come down for the Rapture and scoop him and his family into his arms and carry them to heaven. Every moment of every day, Aaron behaved as if this could be his last moment on earth-- even jumping the highest in Good News Club, hoping that if it happened at that very moment, he'd be the first to arrive in Jesus's arms. But as Aaron got older, he found more and more of his personality at odds with his family's creed. He loved to sing and act, but music was harshly regulated and acting was frowned on outside of church. He tried to find a way to be himself and still go by his parents rules; Peter Cetera and Amy Grant's duet "Next Time I Fall in Love" sounded like heaven to him, but not to his mother. Aaron's journey from believer to family rebel was a difficult one, especially filled as his family was with such love and support, such warm and caring people. But ultimately, he had to find a way to honor himself, even if it meant taking a different road from his parents.
Rapture Practice is not just a humorous memoir about growing up in a fundamentalist Christian home, but it also deals with issues of coming-of-age and questioning one's faith and sexuality while still in this often-difficult environment. Like Augusten Burroughs's Running With Scissors, and to an extent, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Rapture Practice examines difficult life experiences through a humorous lens and reminds readers that sometimes life is stranger than fiction, and often in hindsight, just as entertaining.
Author: Aaron Hartzler
Number of Pages: 400
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
Publication Date: 25 Apr 2013
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780316094658
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.