Winner of the Singapore Literature Prize 2016
“This collection of poetry by interdisciplinary artist Desmond Kon is an invitation to ‘jump into the spray like raindance’ – between musings on philosophy, speech acts and language play, the poet performs the role of conteur, archivist, marionette.... Kon offers eleven ways of looking at a square, a fable, and a republic. What does the world represent for you? he asks in earnest. These prose vignettes are clever and defy categories. They contain a wealth of references across time and cultures, its undercurrent of a tragicomedy so irresistible that it feels like the ‘tongue tasting brown sugar’.”
— Fiona Sze-Lorrain, author of Water the Moon
“Here is a book few of us think a Singaporean could write! For proof, pick it up and read almost any section/para.... and believe me, you will be astounded! Kon is a consummate artist here, weaving strands of knowledge, wisdom, humor so porously that as readers we are left baffled but wiser, perhaps even sadder. I don’t know how best to describe this book – perhaps the word *fable* might well do the trick! Like the wizards of old, he weaves magic into words seamlessly making us marvel and wonder. This is a book all educated men and women will find thoroughly rewarding and refreshing. A damn good read!”
— Kirpal Singh, author of Thinking Hats & Colored Turbans
Author: Desmond Kon Zhicheng
Number of Pages: 110
Publisher: Math Paper Press
Publication Date: 2014
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9789810781040
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.