This book is a coming-of-age memoir set in Malaya before and after World War 2. The author takes us back to the delightful times of curry tiffins, porcelain dolls, Cantonese amahs (not-so-delightful) castor-oil Saturdays. Born into a Penang family with strong maritime connections, Maisie, her sister Olga and brother John enjoy a happy carefree existence which comes to an end with the death of their mother. The Prout children are sent away from the family home to convent nuns and Christian brothers in Singapore. The two sisters spend the next 14 years of their youth traversing Malaya as CHIJ boarders in Singapore and Seremban, under the watchful eyes of the nuns - a varied lot fleshed out by Maisie's sharp, humorous and often poignant recollections. Witnesses to the first air raid over Singapore, the sisters observe endure and survive the Japanese Occupation to welcome the liberation forces and complete their interrupted education, graduating in due course with Senior Cambridge Certificates, then going on to train as teachers in Seremban. This memoir will strike a chord with those who remember the old CHIJ institutions, the Occupation period and post-war Malaya.
Those too young to recall these events will be charmed by Maisie's stories, delivered in her inimitable style.
Author: M. Duncan
Number of Pages: 221
Publisher: Times Editions
Publication Date: 01 Jun 2004
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9789812328144
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- This book was traded in by a user. As part of our sustainability commitment, we are committing 1% of the profits to support sustainable initiatives.
- When you shop with Thryft, we help you do more with your purchase. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books and clothes using more sustainable packaging options. Click here to learn more.
- Orders from Singapore above S$30 are eligible for free local delivery services.
- We typically pack and dispatch orders within 2-7 business days. After the order is dispatched, they typically arrive within the next business day. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- You can opt in for reusable e-commerce packaging if you are ordering 6 books or clothes or less! Click here to learn more.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store nor have access to your payment information.