“Murakami is like a magician who explains what he’s doing as he performs the trick and still makes you believe he has supernatural powers . . . But while anyone can tell a story that resembles a dream, it's the rare artist, like this one, who can make us feel that we are dreaming it ourselves.” —The New York Times Book Review
The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.
A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.” Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.
As Aomame’s and Tengo’s narratives converge over the course of this single year, we learn of the profound and tangled connections that bind them ever closer: a beautiful, dyslexic teenage girl with a unique vision; a mysterious religious cult that instigated a shoot-out with the metropolitan police; a reclusive, wealthy dowager who runs a shelter for abused women; a hideously ugly private investigator; a mild-mannered yet ruthlessly efficient bodyguard; and a peculiarly insistent television-fee collector.
A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.
Author: Haruki Murakami
Number of Pages: 1157
Publisher: Random House Inc.
Publication Date: 02 Aug 2012
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780345803405
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- This book was traded in by a user. As part of our sustainability commitment, we are committing 1% of the profits to support sustainable initiatives.
- When you shop with Thryft, we help you do more with your purchase. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books and clothes using more sustainable packaging options. Click here to learn more.
- Orders from Singapore above S$30 are eligible for free local delivery services.
- We typically pack and dispatch orders within 2-7 business days. After the order is dispatched, they typically arrive within the next business day. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- You can opt in for reusable e-commerce packaging if you are ordering 6 books or clothes or less! Click here to learn more.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store nor have access to your payment information.