This book traces the remarkable reconfigurations that English lexis has undergone in the past millennium. The vocabulary is studied as an indicator of social change, a symbol reflecting different social dynamics between speech communities, on models of dominance, cohabitation, colonialism and globalisation. * Comprehensive guide to the evolution of the English vocabulary. * Well known passages from literature are used to illustrate the variety of English words. * Accessible discussion of Latin, Greek, Germanic and Norman--French languages. * Contains original research into the make--up of the current lexical core of English.
Author: Geoffrey Hughes
Number of Pages: 452
Publisher: John Wiley and Sons Ltd
Publication Date: 28 Feb 2000
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780631188551
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.