Author: Alexander M. Bickel
Publisher: The University of Chicago Press, 1957
Condition: Softcover, foxing on inner cover and edges, yellowed pages, interior clean
“The words gathered in this volume, are the record of a powerful mind in the act of thinking and persuading,” writes Paul A. Freund in his introduction to this book of revealing insights into the working of a great judicial mind in the frame work of democratic legal processes.
Some of the dominant themes in Louis Brandeis’s judicial philosophy reflected in these previously unpublished opinions include devotion to the federal balance, a recognition of the evils of “bigness,” and judicial self-restraint, a belief that the Court should not reach out to impose authority in constitutional matters unless a considerable wrong would be done by not so doing.
These eleven opinions emphasize themes which were of special and recurring importance to Brandeis, and which are repeatedly found in the bulk of his judicial work. Alexander Bickel gives the background and history of each case and traces in illuminating detail the manner in which the members of the Supreme Court Bench gradually worked out their decision. Thus we see how the Court finds in the heritage of the law resources which fulfill the requirements of a new day, through imagination, understanding, and patience.
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.