Book by Lim, Catherine
Stories of joss-sticks and temples, alcohol and money, spouses, parents, and children - all are included in this collection. Singapore is a mixture of nationalities, religions, and classes, and Catherine Lim seems to represent them all. These are stories of people struggling with abject poverty, everyday situations, and lifestyles that are not copacetic with one's disposition. Often the catalyst in the story is a peripheral character, one that may never even speak but may provide the impact, and many times the irony, that make these haunting stories. One man reacts to a conversation with someone he just met: "What had lain dead in him all these years stirred uneasily to life: his heart filled, his mind crowded with dim visitations and images. He was awash in a tide of feeling too great to resist, so he wept." Many of these stories are sad: a character climbs a hill, only to find a mountain. But Catherine Lim provides just enough paradox to allow the reader to laugh and empathize with her characters. She peeks and pokes into lives, uncovering unexpected strengths and unconscious weaknesses. -- For great reviews of books for girls, check out Let's Hear It for the Girls: 375 Great Books for Readers 2-14. -- From 500 Great Books by Women; review by Holly Smith
Author: Catherine Lim
Format: Soft cover
Publisher: Heinemann Asia
Publication Date: 1980
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9789971640149
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.