This revised and expanded third edition offers a comprehensive and engaging introduction to the criminal justice system of England and Wales. Starting with an overview of the main theories of the causes of crime, this book explores and discusses the operation of the main criminal justice agencies including the police, probation and prison services and the legal and youth justice systems.
This book offers a lively and critical discussion of some of the main themes in criminal justice, from policy-making and crime control to diversity and discrimination to the global dimensions of criminal justice, including organized crime and the role of the EU.
Key updates to this new edition include:
increased discussion of the measurement, prevention and detection of crime;
a revised chapter on the police which discusses the principle of policing by consent, police methods, power and governance as well as the abuse of power;
further discussion of pressing contemporary issues in criminal justice, such as privatization, multi-agency working and community-based criminal justice policy;
a brand new chapter on victims of crime, key developments in criminal justice policy, and the response of the criminal justice system.
This accessible text is essential reading for students taking introductory courses in criminology and criminal justice. A wide range of useful features includes review questions, lists of further reading, timelines of key events and a glossary of key terms.
Author: Peter Joyce
Edition: New edition
Number of Pages: 670
Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
Publication Date: 17 Aug 2017
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9781138931169
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.