Few territories are as hotly contested as the western Pacific Ocean. Across
the 1.5 million square mile expanse of the East and South China Sea, six
countries lay overlapping claims that date back centuries. China, Vietnam,
Korea and Indonesia assert their right to trade routes, deploying military
garrisons to defend disputed territories while Japan, Vietnam and the
Philippines resist their expansion. But no single government can face a
superpower such as China alone, and as the country extends its reach, less
powerful states look to the US for diplomatic mediation creating an
American security umbrella that stretches across the Asia-Pacific nicknamed
the American Lake . These conditions produce an unstable cocktail of
competing interests and international tensions poised for conflict. BBC
foreign correspondent Humphrey Hawksley has been following this
increasingly precarious situation in East Asia for decades. Reporting on
years of political developments, he has witnessed China 's rise to become
one of the world 's most powerful trade entities, elbowing smaller markets
out in the process. In Asian Waters, Hawksley draws on his experience as a
veteran journalist to portray the region in all its complexity and delivers
a compelling account of where it is heading. Will China continue to rise to
power peacefully or will its ambition prompt a new world war' Will Japan,
the Philippines, South Korea, and Taiwan create a multi-lateral alliance
similar to NATO to pre-empt further encroachment' Asian Waters delves into
these topics and more as Hawksley presents the most comprehensive analysis
of the region to date.
Author: Humphrey Hawksley
Publisher: Bloomsbury Academic
Publication Date: 2018
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780715652602
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- This book was traded in by a user. As part of our sustainability commitment, we are committing 1% of the profits to support sustainable initiatives.
- When you shop with Thryft, we help you do more with your purchase. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using more sustainable packaging options. Click here to learn more.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- We typically pack and dispatch orders within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- You can opt in for reusable e-commerce packaging if you are ordering 6 books or less! Click here to learn more.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store nor have access to your payment information.