Since 1965, when it became a fully independent city-state, Singapore has been an effervescent laboratory of economic, social and environmental transformation and innovation. The island of Singapore is small (currently about 720 sq km), and the government has thoroughly transformed and extended the lands under its control to serve the needs and ambitions of its citizens. The systematic overhaul of the Singaporean environment reflects a deliberate policy of social transformation, a revolution controlled and monitored from above.Singapore's accomplishments in the realm of economic and social development are of great importance but have received little attention. Based on an extended series of diachronic maps, this book illustrates the nature and depth of the territorial changes that have occurred since the early 1960s. The commentary that accompanies the maps shows how Singapore has used this ongoing territorial transformation to support its position in a globalized economy, and also as a tool of social and political management.
Author: Rodolphe De Koninck
Edition: New edition
Number of Pages: 104
Publisher: Nus Press
Publication Date: 30 Dec 2008
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9789971693978
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.