This rollicking adventure novel brings back Twain's best-loved characters - Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and the freed slave Jim - for a balloon trip around the world. Escaping civilization and Aunt Polly once again, this exhilarating tale of far-off exploits is, as Twain wrote, "a story that will not only interest boys but any man who has ever been a boy, which immensely enlarges the audience". Ranging from comic tall tales and bold escapades, as when Tom rescues a child from brigands, to a series of lively conversations among the three friends on topics from the Crusades and the limitations of maps, to religious toleration and racial discrimination, to the fine art of cursing, Tom Sawyer Abroad is a truly delightful book. At the same time, it is an often moving and serious story, as when the trio finds a caravan of corpses, victims of a sandstorm, or observes a bloody battle from the air. "There's a good deal more to Mark Twain than laughs," as Nat Hentoff observes in his thoughtful introduction. Tom Sawyer Abroad is sure to provide plenty of laughs, and a good deal more as well.
Author: Mark Twain
Edition: New edition
Number of Pages: 294
Publisher: Oxford University Press Inc
Publication Date: 01 Nov 1996
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780195101485
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.