Author: Mary-Ann Kirkby
“Your mother and father are running away," said a voice piercing the warm
air. I froze and turned toward home. To a Hutterite, nothing is more
shameful than that word, running away, Weglaufen...” In 1969, Ann-Marie’s
parents did the unthinkable. They left a Hutterite colony in Canada with
seven children, and little else, to start a new life. Overnight, the family
was thrust into a society they did not understand and which knew little of
their unique culture. The transition was overwhelming. Desperate to be
accepted, ten-year-old Ann-Marie was forced to deny her heritage in order
to fit in with her peers. I Am Hutterite chronicles her quest to reinvent
herself as she comes to terms with the painful circumstances that led her
family to leave community life. Rich with memorable characters and vivid
descriptions, this ground-breaking narrative shines a light on intolerance,
illuminating the simple truth that beneath every human exterior beats a
heart longing for understanding and acceptance. “A superb memoir . . . this
has the makings of a prairie classic.” --AWARD JURY, SASK BOOK AWARDS
“Honest, strong, clear, direct, it opens the door on what has been for so
many of us a completely closed world.” --WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Malaysia below RM150 are eligible for flat rate shipping of RM9.99 MYR. Orders RM150 and above are eligible for free shipping.
- All orders will be dispatched within 7 business days (Monday through Friday, excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780849948107
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.