The collision of new technologies, changing business strategies, and innovative storytelling that produced a new golden age of TV.
Cable television channels were once the backwater of American television, programming recent and not-so-recent movies and reruns of network shows. Then came La Femme Nikita, OZ, The Sopranos, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and The Walking Dead. And then, just as "prestige cable" became a category, came House of Cards and Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, and other Internet distributors of television content. What happened? In We Now Disrupt This Broadcast, Amanda Lotz chronicles the collision of new technologies, changing business strategies, and innovative storytelling that produced an era termed "peak TV."
Lotz explains that changes in the business of television expanded the creative possibilities of television. She describes the costly infrastructure rebuilding undertaken by cable service providers in the late 1990s and the struggles of cable channels to produce (and pay for) original, scripted programming in order to stand out from the competition. These new programs defied television conventions and made viewers adjust their expectations of what television could be. Le Femme Nikita offered cable's first antihero, Mad Men cost more than advertisers paid, The Walking Dead became the first mass cable hit, and Game of Thrones was the first global television blockbuster. Internet streaming didn't kill cable, Lotz tells us. Rather, it revolutionized how we watch television. Cable and network television quickly established their own streaming portals. Meanwhile, cable service providers had quietly transformed themselves into Internet providers, able to profit from both prestige cable and streaming services. Far from being dead, television continues to transform.
Author: Amanda D. Lotz
Number of Pages: 280
Publisher: MIT Press Ltd
Publication Date: 17 May 2018
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9780262037679
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- This book was traded in by a user. As part of our sustainability commitment, we are committing 1% of the profits to support sustainable initiatives.
- When you shop with Thryft, we help you do more with your purchase. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using more sustainable packaging options. Click here to learn more.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- We typically pack and dispatch orders within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- You can opt in for reusable e-commerce packaging if you are ordering 6 books or less! Click here to learn more.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store nor have access to your payment information.