The Romans founded Londinium in AD 50 but the earliest human remains in the Thames valley, once the realm of mammoths and polar bears, date back to 450,000 BC. Following through the impacts of invasions, revolts and epidemics ranging from the Black Death to cholera, this book shows how, against all the odds, a small malarial settlement turned into Europe's most successful city. Full of evidence gathered from the Museum of London's extensive archaeological work and written in thematic chapters that explore the changing aspects of life over the last three thousand years and across a variety of maps old and new, "London" shines a fascinating light on everything from costermongers to the Krays, the building of the Embankment to the destruction of the Blitz.There are contemporary cartoons and paintings, artefacts that range from the Mayor's golden coach to a leather Roman bikini found in the mud of the Thames and the museum's own vivid reconstructions of ancient markets, temples and bathhouses, making the daily lives of Londoners and the city's chequered history come alive in this book as never before.
Authors: Catherine Ross, John Clark
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher: Allen Lane
Publication Date: 08 Nov 2008
- Vendor: Thryft Singapore
- ISBN: 9781846141256
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
- 10% of the profits from this book will be donated under Our Sustainability Commitment.
- For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Morning Star Community Services CareNights programme. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.