Designers now have at their fingertips an invaluable reference: an illustrated history of modern furnishings and interior design from period rooms of the early twentieth century. Ikea, eat your heart out: Macy's, Lord & Taylor and others designed exhibits in the 1920s with mock living rooms, bedrooms, and even kitchens to display and sell modern furnishings and decorative objects.
Marilyn Friedman's text and accompanying period photographs describe in detail the exhibits held by Macys, Lord & Taylor, B. Altman, and Wanamaker's to popularize modern design. Macy's, in particular, worked closely with the Metropolitan Museum of Art to select designers and display works of modern design by Gio Ponti, William Lescaze, and Paul Frankel as part of the exhibits. More than 120 photographs illustrate period furnishings and decorative objects by European and American designers, providing a visual feast for interior designers, art lovers, and collectors.
Author: Marilyn F. Friedman
Number of Pages: 143
Publisher: UNIVERSE PUBLISHING
Publication Date: 06 Apr 2004
- 50% of the profits from this book will be donated under our Books for Charity programme. For the first and second quarter of the year, we will be donating to Lakeside Family Services' Reading Intervention Services. Learn how we work with partners here.
- We are committed to shipping your books using plastic-free packaging.
- Orders from Singapore above S$20 are eligible for free local next-day delivery services.
- All orders are packed and dispatched within 2-7 business days. Business days are Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).
- Vendor: Thryft x Books for Charity
- ISBN: 9780847825851
- While we do our best to ensure the accuracy of cover images, ISBNs may at times be reused for different editions of the same title which may hence appear as a different cover.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.